Condo Watch Services
You might think you don’t have anything to worry about—the building management will take care of issues while you are away. Not true! The owner is responsible for drip pans overflowing, water heater leaks, burst pipes and other damages. Not only are you responsible for damages to your unit, you may be responsible for damages to common property and other condo units as well. What if your AC shuts down due to a system malfunction? Given the right conditions, microbial growth can occur within 72 hours.
What some condo owners don’t know is that some Associations require that the condo owner have a home watch, and some insurance policies may not pay claims if the property is vacant for weeks and/or months at a time. Check your Association rules and insurance policy for specifics.
We can customize our checklists to the needs of each client’s home but below are just the basics for any visit to your condo.
- Upon Arrival
- Remove newspapers, flyers, check mailbox
- Visual exterior check
- Turn water ON – “gingerly” (if possible)
- Enter condo, disarm security system, if appropriate
- Interior Check
- Check all windows and doors for damage and ensure they are locked
- Visual check for signs of water damage, mold and mildew
- Cycle the water: brush and flush toilets, run water in sinks (including garbage disposal), tubs and showers
- Check the water heater – it should be turned OFF at circuit breaker, or on Vacation Mode, when water main is OFF. If there is a Circulator Pump, that should be OFF. Procedure varies by type of equipment
- Check for signs of insects, pests and rodents
- Check closets, pantry and storage cabinets
- Verify AC and humidistat settings; adjust as necessary
- Check refrigerator, freezers and wine coolers for proper temp and operation
- Reset clocks after power outage
- Check circuit breaker panels
- Check screen door, screening
- Final departure: “Look. Listen. Lock.”
- Enable security system, lock doors
- Turn OFF water supply
Carefree Home Watch, LLC utilizes the EXCLUSIVE Water Zone Home Watch Method.
This is a very general Home Watch Checklist intended for illustration purposes only.
Each checklist is customized for the for the property and homeowner requests.